Rosemary Halligan is a founding partner of Stern Tannenbaum & Bell LLP. Ms. Halligan started her career at Shea & Gould, and before co-founding the Firm, she was a partner at Duane Morris LLP.
Ms. Halligan concentrates her practice in the commercial litigation field, focusing primarily on complex commercial litigation in areas including real estate, banking, insurance, partnership and shareholder disputes, professional liability, ERISA and trusts and estates law. She has also handled several employment-related litigation matters.
While Ms. Halligan frequently practices in both federal and state courts in New York, she also has appeared in federal and state courts in several jurisdictions outside of New York as well as at arbitrations, administrative hearings and mediations.
- Defense of a national accounting firm against millions of dollars of claimed damages stemming from charges of malpractice in auditing a publicly-held insurance company.
- Representation of a publicly-held company and its wholly-owned subsidiary in a lengthy arbitration and a jury trial in a matter involving complex fraud and breach of contract issues and millions of dollars in damages.
- Representation of two Fortune 100 corporations in a multi-party estate/ERISA dispute.
- Representation of two major oil companies in a dispute involving a valuable leasehold.
- Representation of the owners of multiple health care facilities in a complex negotiation of a foreclosure action involving $50 million of loans.
- Representation of a foreign company in a multi-million dollar fraudulent conveyance action in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Idaho and in a related action in the Southern District of New York.
- Representation of a California bank in several litigations arising out of warehouse loans made to an entity engaging in a multi-million dollar Ponzi-type scheme.
- Representation of a surety company in multiple actions in New York courts stemming from breach of contractor bonds and general indemnity agreements; representation included regularly obtaining expedited judgments and damage recoveries.
- Representation of parties in a variety of significant estate disputes.
- New York
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 1992 (cum laude) Edward F. Hennessey Scholar; Paul J. Liacos Scholar; Editor, Probate Law Journal
- State University of New York, Oneonta, B.S., American History and Spanish, 1986 National Foreign Language Society; Departmental Honors, History
- Duane Morris LLP, Partner, 2001-2007
- Associate, 1998-2000
- Rosenman & Colin LLP
- Associate, 1994-1998
- Shea & Gould
- Associate, 1992-1994
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York — Committee on Legal Education and Admission to the Bar, 2001-2007, Secretary, 2004-2007
- Pro bono counsel to families of victims of September 11th
- Drafted and filed, with co-counsel, in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and the Second Circuit, amicus curie briefs on behalf of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York addressing significant First Amendment issues in the public school context.
- P.S. 58, Member, School Leadership Team, 2008-2010
- Co-Author, “A Rising Tide of Retaliation Claims Challenges Employers to Adopt Adequate Preventative Measures,”
New York State Bar Journal